Monday, June 13, 2005

There's a reason I don't read.

I just received, courtesy of the unforgivably sweat-stained USPS guy, a manual on how to do my fucking job.

That's right. The Guild, under the previously cussed-about new supervision, has issued me a doorstop that looks remarkably like a textbook. The doorstop is entitled The Guild Tactical Manual: A Practical Guide for the Field Agent and has... let's see... 981 sheets of very uncomfortable toilet paper between its cheaply-bound covers.

It's a brilliant book, really. Not only does it quote the Malleus Maleficarum (potentially the dumbest book ever written, and a glorious example of what happens when men in power get too sexually frustrated), but it features illustrations that look like they were drawn by a pre-pubescent mongoloid:



That's supposed to be a grave stake, a ceremonial cross-shaped ash stake used for snuffing vamps. The cross tines are usually broken off after the stake has been properly blessed.

Of course, you only know this because I'm telling you. Looking at the drawing, you'd probably think it was a canoe or a dildo or something.

I'm not nearly as offended by the handwritten descriptions (Jesus, some professionalism, please?) as I am by what they point out. If you'll look closely, you'll notice they actually labeled the sharp end of the stake.

I particularly like the section about "field meditation," which tells agents to, and I quote:

Close your eyes, and slow your breathing. Keeping your eyes closed, re-create your immediate environment as a mental image. Now, as you look around your visualized environment, take the next step and become the vampyr. Feel it's hunger. Know it's fears. You must avoid the hunter. You must slake the thirst. Where, as a vampyr, are you most drawn to? When you have determined the three places you are most likely to go, open your eyes, and begin investigating in those places.


WHAT!? First of all, learn how to use the contraction it's. It's means it is. The possessive form of the pronoun it has no goddamned apostrophe. Seriously; we're talking third grade English class here.

Secondly, you left out the part where the field agent gets fucking eaten while he's standing around channeling Sun Tsu and getting his metaphysical jollies. In a vamp combat situation, you can't stand around with your eyes closed and your dick in your hands, playing silly-ass mind games - unless, of course, you're aiming for a Darwin Award.

Any reasonably intelligent field agent should - with his eyes open - be able to guess where a vampyr might go. If you have to stop and be one with the earth every time you need to track a vamp, you are in the wrong line of work, Grasshopper.

Seriously; who writes this shit?

My true complaint, however, is that the pages aren't absorbent enough to clean up beer. And they chafe.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're back, sorry I haven't been checking too often. Been doing my own offline things.

Alicia

Doggie Extraordinaire's Mom said...

Books are largely written by idiots, for idiots. Clearly, you're just more intelligent than the average joe, or vampyr hunter, or anyone in management. Request future copies in Braille. Cheap paper with nubs has more uses.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you not only returned, but have continued to post here. It's even better that you got a... "manual". I mean, c'mon, how else could you do your job unless that uneducated desk jockey with no feild experience, and the artistic skill of a 6 year old to go with it, no less, wrote that fine, fine piece of literature for you? I happily await your next misadventure with this group, or better yet, your next offering of something that makes me hate vampyrs the way I do even more!

Girl With An Alibi said...

Just stumbled onto your blog from Unseen Blogger. I've always wondered about the Vampyr Hunter career. Didn't realize it was so bureaucratic (sp?). Fascinating. Will be back to read more.

dhkrauss said...

librarian - Seems like the nubs would irritate my crack, wouldn't they?

brynx - the only thing worse than an uneducated desk jockey is an overeducated desk jockey.

alibi girl - you spelled bureaucratic just fine. another alternate spelling is H-O-R-S-E-S-H-I-T.

typing with my left hand sucks.

Anonymous said...

Dagmar quite complaining it could be worse. it would appear that u'v dissappeared again (hopefully for good). My race needs a break from easily avoiding your feeble attempts at destroying us. if you do not believe that i am a vampire then i do not bleieve you are a hunter. we will rule one day.

Anonymous said...

Dagmar call me. our baby is going to say his first word any day now. please call me. i need the benefit supports that you still haven't sent me. i need them, i don't have any income and my parents aren't speeking to me. call me please!!!

Anonymous said...

it's cos you can't

dhkrauss said...

How very clever of you. Yes, a remarkable conclusion... I can't read.

Of course, there is the fact that you can't capitalize or spell the word "because," which would tend to indicate that you have worse literacy problems than I, but hey... what are details like that to a fuckwit like you?

Bravo.

Anonymous said...

but i can spell because, ur such a dick

Anonymous said...

My dear boy- Have you ever been told to fuck your momma? i'm sure someone on here has told you to at some point in time- although- i'm sure you've just been banging her like a jack hammer for months on end, ergo, your a mother fucker =)

Bitch- you been pwn3d again