Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Back.

Sorry for the extended absence; I had to haul my ass out to Tacoma, WA to take care of a multiple nest pattern in some unused storage facilities.

We lost our Washington hunter last year to a threat far greater than any vamp... his own drunk ass in a Chevy Malibu. Like most hunters, Guild hunters seem to be particularly fond of the juice. Some of us, however, are smart enough not to drive cars or select women while inebriated.

Anyway, the MNP wasn't hard to clean, once we tracked it ("we" being myself and Dan, the Oregon guy). Tracking it, though, was a bitch. Vamps tend to nest in one centralized locale; when a nest grows uncomfortable (usually 8 or more), a few rejects are booted from the pack and sent to nest on their own. Usually, they have the good sense to go far away, but these fuckers - 4 nests in all - stayed within a half-mile of each other.

Understand something: vamps have no loyalties. They're like hyenas. Two nests of vamps can't encounter each other without snarling and pissing and whatever else they do to establish territory. So either these were extremely docile vamps (bloody hell they were) or they managed not to cross paths (also bullshit). I don't know what the hell happened up there.

In any case, there was no way we could've expected that, so we wasted a lot of time. After we cleaned up the first nest, we spent fucking days trying to track vamps to spots starting at a mile perimeter around the first. Nothing. Two miles. Nothing. Sporadic kills, corpses popping up in random spots. Where the fuck were these guys hunting?

Anyway, we finally caught a break when the police scanner in Dan's truck picked up a 10-11 between two "homeless guys." The on-scene officer said it looked like one had rabies. Yeah, that guy was fucked, but we hung around after the cops picked up their dead compatriot (actually dead), and found nest 2. Once we started hunting closer to the first nest, we found the remaining two pretty easily, because of Dan's dog.

Dan had this bloodhound, Shirley, and used him (yes, him) in reverse. We'd wander around, and when Shirley didn't want to go in somewhere (when, in fact, he started pissing himself and whining - that fucking name made him a little bitch, I guess), that's where we went. Shirl hates vamps. I can't have a big dog in my building; maybe I'll train myself a hamster or a chihuahua or something.

10 comments:

Ali said...

Sounds like you had an extremely intense time. Do you usually use animals to find the nests of these creatures?

I hear hogs have great senses, much better than hounds. Poor Shirley.

dhkrauss said...

Well, we usually use small children, but dogs are cheaper to buy.

Actually, I'd never thought much about it. I guess it makes sense - animals (especially canines) have a real problem with vamps. Feral thing, I guess. Or maybe it's because they smell like shit rubbed with vinegar (the vamps, that is).

It had never crossed my mind to use a tracking dog in reverse.

Ali said...

Hmm, Small children, how small? When do you get resting time, away from all the hunting? What do you do for relaxation?

dhkrauss said...

Yeah.. I was kidding about the kids.

For relaxation, I shoot stuff with arrows and read books about shooting stuff with arrows. And listen to police scanners.

Come to it, that's not relaxing at all. It's hard to commit to hobbies when you may get paged away to go kill shit that should be dead already.

Ali said...

I was hoping u were kidding about the children. lol. Geez...that sucks to always being on the edge....worrying about what will come after you from one minute to the next.

:(

Do you think u would retire from hunting vampyres....and if so what would u do?

dhkrauss said...

Naw, I don't worry about things coming after me; they don't, really. Not any more than elephants come after poachers, anyway. My only worries are when I go out looking for them.

All I mean is that my work is on-call, which means I have the same social limitations as an EMT, but without the salary or the respect.

And it's a pretty niche market, so it's not like I'm going to chat up something pretty with shop talk.

Ali said...

Silly question, just wanted to know if u can sketch what these creatures look like. I know u probably would not be able to photograph them, because ur too busy slaying them.

Really like to see what they look like.

Do you have a system in logging each creature you come into contact with? I guess what I'm trying to figure out besides from what you carry with you...if you journal any of your adventures in a book?

Are you a full time Vampyr Hunter?

Anonymous said...

Hahahahahaha. Good work in the pacific northwest Reverend Krauss. There's always a pattern associated with them. I wonder though, have you the temerity to discover it? Doctor Thibodeaux says hello by the way. We had quite an interesting meal the other night discussing things such as the Guild and whatnot. I'd have never thought you came from that kind of background, but, I suppose you had to do -something-. Didn't you Reverend. Goodbye for now, perhaps I'll see you later.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a live police scanner spark yakima site/. It pretty much covers live police scanner spark yakima related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

if u don't work does that mean that your a low life scum bag who thinks he's doing good by shooting imaginary things with a male dog called shirly and is actually a low life scum bag who is spunging off the government or his parents even though he's 28 and should have a job?!! silly question really?!! and small children? maybe someone shld report u to the authorities for even thinking about something like that. you are clearly quite off ur rocker and seeing as you're nearly 30 you may aswel take yourself off to a loonybin and save the world from not vampires but your owm ridiculus, imaginary "missions". you were a geek at school weren't you? you don't actually have any friends, do u? soz gotta love ya and leave ya. xxxx p.s. be sure to write back and answer my questions.